Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Storm Soup

So I made soup for the first time in my life today. OK, that's a lie, I have opened up cans of soup, poured them into bowls and heated them in the microwave in the past but does that really count? For Lazy chef purposes, yes. but that's not the point.

What prompted me to make soup from scratch? Weather that threatened to go twister on us and possibly cut electricity and the fact that we have been putting of grocery shopping for a while.  I hurriedly threw open my cupboards and grabbed what I knew could be cooked quickly. I call this Storm Soup because if you want to make dinner before the power goes out, it takes about 20 minutes (prep included), feeds 4 and if you lose power in the first 10 minutes, you can still keep going if you move quickly...

For this recipe you will need:

2 small frozen chicken breasts
1.5 liquid chicken bouillon boxes
green beans (because you have no peas)
macaroni noodles
 spices (whatever you feel like but salt and pepper are a good start)

Now, I am assuming you are rushing to beat the storm like me so quickly clean your dirty soup pot and dump the chicken bouillon in as fast as you can. Dump in as many green beans as you feel like. Set to boil and snatch the chicken out of the freezer . Toss that in and wipe up the bouillon you spilled. Dump some random spices in there and when it comes to a rolling boil, cut into the middle of your chicken to see if it is white all the way through...

If your chicken is cooked through, grab a box of mac and cheese out of your cupboard, yank the cheese powder and toss the noodles into the boiling water for 8 minutes. After that, shred the chicken and eat...

If your power cuts off after your water comes to a rolling boil, dinner will take longer but the already boiling water should continue cooking your chicken. Just throw the noodles in right away instead and put a cover over your pot to keep the heat in. Check your chicken in about 20 minutes and it should be cooked through, along with the noodles. If you threw in medium to large sized breasts after I told you small in bold, underlined italics you are probably screwed...

No comments:

Post a Comment