Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Green Sun Tea

Summer is here and it's time for something cool and refreshing to drink! Recently, I have become quite disgusted by what we call food. e.g Pink slime, cellulose, high fructose corn syrup, food dyes made from gasoline bi-products. I pretend the ingredients I cook with are made of rainbows and sunshine because here in Central TX, I have no "real-food" options.

But it's bad form to make your readers gag on a food blog so let's move on. I wanted something to drink that wasn't full of poison and I knew I'd need to make it myself. Then my husband came home with an Arizona Green Tea and I figured out how to imitate it at home for about fifty cents a gallon and without corn syrup, "natural"flavors, citric acid or ginseng extract.

FOR THIS RECIPE YOU WILL NEED:

1 gallon sized empty milk jug
5 bags of green tea
1 bag of ginseng tea
1/3 of a honey bear*
1 working faucet **

Fill up your empty jug with the hottest water that will come out of your tap. Don't do something silly like boiling its and pouring it in, you'll melt the jug and the entire point of sun tea is that you don't have to boil it. Now dump 1/3 of a honey bear in. The hot water will mostly dissolve it for you. Stick the tea bags in but leave the square paper part out and make sure it goes past the screwy part of the jug. Screw the lid back on, (yes it will go over the strings just fine) and shake it gently three times.

Set the jug out in the sun and walk away for an hour or two. Now forget you made it and go make another gallon. Set that outside and find yourself pleasantly surprised that you have some finished green tea. Take that jug back inside, remove the tea bags and set it in the fridge till it's cold. Eventually go get the second jug and do the same thing.


*So what if I dont know how much honey is in a bear or how much a third of one bear is. You aren't gonna spoon honey into a milk jug now are you?

**I guess one could buy a jug already filled with fancy, shmancy distilled water or something. But your honey wouldn't dissolve as quickly in the cooler water so there!



No comments:

Post a Comment